Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Tips from Your Team at SERVPRO of Stone Oak
The aftermath of a fire can be devastating. When the flames are extinguished, our team at SERVPRO of Stone Oak is ready to begin the fire damage restoration process. Before we arrive, it is important to remember a few tips while you wait. Of course, safety should always be the number one concern when dealing with fire and fire damage. Allowing professionals to handle your belongings is also important as we are trained to handle your belongings and salvage what we are able to pre-fire condition. Finally, remember to try to remain calm. While a fire can inevitably cause an immense amount of stress, remaining calm will allow our team to better serve you and your property.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (210) 858-9696
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.